Moist and eggless chocolate marble cake

I welcome all you readers to a world of eggless bakes that tries to compete neck to neck with the "real deal", yes I try and bake without any eggs trying to achieve the same kind if texture, moistness and the quality of the baked goodies with added eggs. I have got a taste of both the versions. Of late I have been baking lot of bread, almost once a week and now I have the bread formula in my head !!



Lot can be done to create a recipe from a base recipe
- tweaking it here and there but mostly trying to keep it as it was
- trying to understand the purpose of each element in the recipe and trying to substitute some in some cases like nut allergy, gluten intolerance, egg allergy etc...,
- trying to add some more elements into the recipe to make it more suitable to your tastes

Whatever you try to do to an original recipe, the basic thing will be to understand the purpose of each and every element of the recipe. Not only what the recipe contains but understanding the method is also very important. I have been trying to do a so called "research" on how to make eggless bakes as tasty and trying to imitate the quality of the baked goods with eggs in it. Difficult as it is, I decided in making my experimenting more exciting by trying to avoid using the saturated solid fat like butter.



The bread experimenting had started some months back, after many partially cooked, ok and good bread later, I got my recipe for a basic bread loaf. After some accidental experimenting, yes I say accidental because I had never intended to add those things into the recipe until after I started making it. Well after an accidental experiment SUCCESS !! in baking a chocolate marble cake with khoa and I was on cloud nine after hubby dear rated it a 9 on 10 (he told a 9 because he found it a bit salty, well no arguments he is the best critic when it comes to my food :)......). I thought why not try making it with ricotta cheese. Hence, this recipe



For a 21 x 12 x 8 cm loaf you need, all the measurements are in cups and spoons for ease.

Milk - 1 cup (I used whole milk, you can even use skimmed milk)
Rice vinegar - 2 tsps (I used this since the vinegar available here are either with herbs or strong tasting for a cake)
Semi-white wheat flour (farine mi-blanche) - 3/4 cup + 4 tbsps
Fine semolina - 1/2 cup
Raw cane sugar - 1 cup + 4 tbsps
Baking powder - 1 tsp
Baking soda - 2/3 tsp
Sunflower oil - 1/3 cup
Ricotta cheese - 1 cup
Vanilla essence - 4 tsps
Cocoa powder - 4 tbsps

1. Preheat the oven at 180 deg C. Line the loaf tin with baking paper.
2. Mix the vinegar into the milk and keep aside. (If you are using rice vinegar like me the milk wont curdle like with other vinegars, dont bother the cake will turn out well !)
3. Put in the measured flour (3/4 cup), semolina (1/2 cup), sugar (1 cup), baking powder and baking soda mix them well so that the leavening agents are homogenously distributed.
4. Mix into the milk-vinegar mixture the oil and vanilla extract.
5. Mix the milk mixture and the flour mixture into a smooth batter. The batter will be slightly thin at this stage.
6. In a separate bowl beat and smoothen out the ricotta cheese that has already been measured.
7. Add this to the cake batter in step 5 and fold it in nicely to obtain a homogenous mixture.
8. Take around 1/3 rd of the prepared cake batter and to it add the cocoa powder and mix till you get a uniformly coloured batter.
9. To the rest of the cake batter add the flour (4tbsps) and sugar (4 tbsps) and mix well.
10. Now following this method for marbling the cake (excellent video!! with the method and results), fill in the prepared loaf tin or any tin of your desire with all the cake batter.
11. Bake the cake in the preheated oven for 60 mins or till the cake tester comes out clean. Cool it, slice and serve as it is or with berries or icecream.



Verdict: 
This is one experiment that turned out to be a success !
The ricotta version was good though I find myself partial to the khoa one.The chocolate marble cake with khoa tasted out of this world ! It was utterly delicious and one of the most addictive cakes that I have ever made. 

It is very important to handle the cake with care and let it cool completely before you try and cut it.

I will be posting the khoa version soon, so wait up you guys for an absolute treat !!

Thanks for visiting my blog :)

Comments

  1. Wow, a butterless versions seems very interesting. I am always looking out for recipes that are healthier.
    You have a lovely blog and so many eggless recipes that makes it very interesting.
    Thanks for dropping by mine, Abhilasha.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it looks delicious I think it looks delicious,

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I would love to hear any suggestions you have.

Thanks for stopping by :)

Have a great time !!

Popular Posts