Carrot halwa for the most special little brother :)

It was Rakshabandhan, there was something utterly important missing...... My BROTHER :P . His exams are on, we could not even speak properly over phone ! (He is always occupied with some or the other test, quiz, assignment....... I wonder many times how does he juggle all this ??.............I did not so many things when I was studying ). He manages all this and has time for fun also !!!!!

I wanted to dedicate something to my brother that day, something simple and special. Back home mom usually used to prepare a sweet, we than used to pray and then I tied the rakhi on my brother's hand and then all of us are indulging ourselves on the sweet that mom prepared. She mostly used to prepare a simple and tasty sweet on every Rakshabandhan. This is one of the sweets that my brother and myself relish.

Well without any more delay, here is what we need to prepare Carrot Halwa, good amount for 2 persons.

Carrots - 500 gms, grated with the big grater
milk - 500 ml
cashewnuts - 10
almonds - 10
raisins - 2 tsps
sugar - 4 tbsps
ghee / clarified butter - 2 tbsps

Preparation:

1. Heat 1 tbsp of ghee in a thick bottomed pan, add the cashewnuts and raisins and fry them till the cashewnuts get a golden colour and the raisins puff up. Now add the grated carrots and fry for around 6-7 mins till the raw smell of the carrots starts reducing.
2. Now add the milk (You can directly use the packed pasteurised milk) cook, reduce it to a consistency where only little liquid is seen.

3. In this stage add the sugar, and cook it further till you get a smooth, creamy consistency. Most importantly no liquid should be seen everthing must be absorbed by the carrots, nuts and reduced.

It took around a hour and 15 minutes for me from scratch to finish for the carrot halwa. This includes grating the carrots, cutting the nuts and the whole cooking process. Just a little patience is required to prepare this really down to earth tasty sweet dish.

Some pictures for my brother :)



                                                                                              


Thankyou for visiting my blog :)

Comments

Popular Posts